Saturday 19 February 2011

Great Carrots

Went down to the farmers market this morning. It was pretty quiet thanks to stinking North London weather but there was some fantastic produce to be found. 


Vegetables covered in mud, clearly fresh out of the ground, begging to be cooked. There is something very exciting about seeing a knobly carrot, a parsnip or a potato covered in mud, wet from the rain and just waiting to be taken home and cooked. Well, there is to me anyway.


Compare that to the carrots that you get from a supermarket. All the same size, all the same shape, straight, boring... dull. Of course I've bought carrots, and other veg, from a super market just saying I prefer the ones from the market. 


Also managed to get a smoked ham hock... which is also very exciting and I might well post about tomorrow when I've worked out what to do with it. Is it a little sad that I get excited by pork and carrots? Probably... 

No comments:

Post a Comment