Saturday 12 February 2011

Hangover Cure #1

If only real hangovers where this twee.
Last night I met a few mates and fellow new fathers for a cheeky friday night pint at the local. I don't remember it being a big night. In fact apart for the beer I had before I went out, the three pints in the pub and then the two more beers I had when I got home... I hardly drank anything.

Oh....

So not surprisingly this morning I woke up with a hangover, about 4 on the HO scale. 1 is barely a hangover at all and is dealt with by brushing your teeth, a cold shower and black coffee. 10 is the full on pneumatic drill behind the eyes, explosive gastric track distress and a total conviction that you want to drown quietly and quickly in a vat of the your own self pity. So 4 is a slight feeling of wanting to nap and the need for something hot and ever so slightly greasy for breakfast. 4 is livable with. Just.

This morning that meant my take on Welsh Rarebit. Welsh Rarebit, is basically, posh cheese on toast and traditionally is cooked with brown ale or cider and some flour, but this morning the last thing I thought I needed was more alcohol (although hair of the dog is probably exactly what I did need) so I omitted that ingredient.

'Not real Welsh Rarebit,' I hear you cry, 'a pale imitation' I hear you moan, to which I reply 'sod off I've still got a bit of a hangover and am in no mood to argue about recipes.'


Take a couple of good handfuls of strong cheddar finely grated, mix in two egg yolks, a good teaspoon of english mustard, couple of hearty dashes of Worcester Sauce and a dollop of creme freche to loosen the mixture up (if you are using ale of cider you don't need to had the creme freche.) Spread the mixture on thick slices of sour dough bread. Grill to golden brown. Eat with a dollop of tomato ketchup and start the process of recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment